Bukit Bintang Girls’ School (BBGS) opened in 1893 with Miss Betty Langlands teaching girls to read in Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Formerly known as the Chinese Girls’ School, BBGS gained its name after moving to its premises on Bukit Bintang Road in 1930. BBGS was the oldest school in Kuala Lumpur, surpassing Victoria Institution , Methodist Girls’ School Kuala Lumpur (1896), Methodist Boys’ School Kuala Lumpur (1897), Convent Bukit Nanas (1899), St. John’s Institution (1904), St Mary’s (1912) as well as Maxwell School (1917).
The school adopted the motto Nisi Dominus Frustra, which is Latin for “Without God, All is in vain”. Its students are widely known as BBGSians.
In 2000, the school changed its name to SMK Seri Bintang Utara (SBU). It was moved to a new location at Taman Shamelin Perkasa, Cheras and was established as one of the first Smart Schools in Malaysia. The BBGS landmark on Bukit Bintang Road was demolished to make way for Pavilion KL, a commercial site in Kuala Lumpur.
Although it is no longer in existence, BBGS’s friends and even rivals acknowledge it as the very first all-girls school to be established in the nation’s capital.